Desired Outcome: A culturally vibrant City of Detroit and metropolitan Detroit region where arts contribute to the area’s economic, social and creative well-being.
Anchor Cultural & Arts Organizations
Desired Outcome: A strong central city and vibrant neighborhoods in the city of Detroit that also contribute to the quality of life in metro Detroit.
The Foundation will provide:
- General operating support to a diverse but defined set of organizations that represent the cultural mainstays of the region, including those that have historical significance to the Erb family; and
- Additional support to these anchor institutions in exceptional cases for time-limited, large-scale transformational efforts. This may take the form of capital or endowment campaigns, major physical infrastructure needs, innovative and comprehensive marketing and outreach efforts, or significant investments that will strengthen their position as cultural anchors. The Foundation is particularly interested in using its support of these efforts to attract new and additional philanthropic resources for the organization, so grants in this area will typically be challenge grants.
Please note that the Foundation will not accept unsolicited applications in this area.
Arts & Community Life
Desired Outcome: Robust community participation and more attractive, prosperous neighborhoods in Detroit and other economically challenged areas across metropolitan Detroit, contributing to a stronger region.
The Foundation will consider project support for activities that:
- Strengthen individual neighborhoods through cultural activities and public art;
- Expose and engage residents and audiences in opportunities for creative expression and participation in order to build community, with an emphasis on projects that:
- explore the intersection of arts and the environment, or
- build on the community’s artistic roots and history to support its cultural and economic renaissance; and
- Develop the support infrastructure to help create an economically sustainable arts community.
Desired Outcome: The continuation of Detroit’s strong jazz tradition, and Fred Erb’s legacy of jazz patronage, by educating the next generation of musicians.
The Foundation supports jazz instruction for musically talented, economically challenged youth.